Some of you may be aware of a somewhat new program available through one of the world’s biggest online retailers – Amazon.com. The program is called Amazon Home Services, and it’s a GREAT way to find new customers – especially in large markets (i.e. Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Washington D.C., etc.).
So how does it work?
When you apply to sell services on Amazon, they’ll determine if you’re an eligible service provider in your area (they are VERY concerned with only providing high-quality services). You have to have a good reputation (on Google, Yelp, YP.com, etc.) in order to be approved. ***
***When you apply, just remember that to register as a carpet cleaner, you’ll select “Home Services” where it says “Select Service Category.” Then the option on the right will open up to select “Carpet Cleaner.” ***
I know what you’re all thinking: “What’s in it for me?”
- There is no membership fee or recurring charge. You only pay a fee for the jobs you get.
- You get exposure from one of the most reputable names in online sales – Amazon.
- Amazon handles payment and helps you with scheduling.
- On average, 10% of Amazon customers leave seller reviews. It doesn’t take long to build up a reputation.
*** A Few Words of Caution***
Turns out it’s a pretty good gig – as long as you don’t undersell yourself. Amazon is formatted to automatically highlight the lowest-cost service provider, so it’s easy to get caught in a price war with the lowest bidder. DON’T feel like you have to be the lowest bid!
The average Amazon shopper is an interesting hybrid of price-conscious and feature savvy. They know that Amazon is a great place to get a good price on items that will enhance their lives. Most customers you’ll find will not only research the companies they may be inviting into their homes, but also what services they’re offering. That means that, because customers are willing to do more research, you don’t have to be the lowest bidder to win the job!
Here’s what I would do:
In your company listing, highlight the fact that you don’t just clean carpets.
- You apply industry-leading protectant ON EVERY JOB to keep their carpets cleaner for longer (thus, a higher ticket value).
- You specialize in pet and urine stain removal, upholstery, and rugs.
- You clean and seal tile & grout.
- In other words, you’re not just some run-of-the-mill mom & pop steam cleaner. You’re Chem-Dry! You do it all and you can do it better than the other guy any day of the year!
So, there’s a good chance your company summary will get read and reviewed (about 10% of Amazon customers leave seller reviews – you can probably plan on more if you just blow them away with your service). And, while you may not be able to link to your website in the summary, you can bet that you might get Googled! MAKE SURE you knock their socks off with your amazing service and care.
If you have any questions about Amazon Home Services, email or call me. I’d love to chat with you about this opportunity with HUGE potential.